Sunday, December 18, 2011

My first Eagles game

I can still remember the first Eagles game that I went to with my Dad. It was the most exciting thing that had happened to me that year. I was 14yrs old and fully understood the rules of game and anything that I had a question on was easily answered by my dad.

As the day approached I got more and more excited about actually getting to see my favorite team play in person. It was so exciting to think that I was going to be in the stadium where the magic happens. I’m sure my dad was just as excited since he had not been to a game in a long time either. It was going to be a special time for a father and daughter.

Once Sunday arrived we started our day off as usual, going to church in the morning. Something we do every week, and since the game was a night game it worked out that we did not have to rush through our day to try and get to the stadium. After church we went home and got something to eat and began to prepare for the game. The seasons were changing and it was going to be cold during the game which meant we needed layers. Layering up in was not debatable especially since my mother would not let us leave the house unless she knew we would be warm. Regardless of my dads clothing, he was an adult and could handle the weather,  my mom was not trying to let her daughter freeze in a football stadium. So needless to say I left the house like Ralphie’s brother from a “Christmas Story”. Despite the ridiculous amount of layer I had on I was prepared for a great time.

Driving to the game me and my dad were analyzing who we believed would win this game. They were played the Packer that Sunday, and had a good shot of winning. Well at least that what I was hoping. Even as a child I was pretty superstitious about watching games at home. I believed moving off the couch at any time except half time would cause some horrible turnover or bad set of downs. So staying strong even when I had to pee was something I got use to. I stuck with my superstitious ways even when it was difficult. Going to the game I knew could only be positive because I would be able to channel positive energy to the team to help them win. Although I was young I felt like these things were true. To this day I rarely move on the couch or bed since I am in school now while watching an Eagles game. Sometimes old habits just die hard.

Getting to the game we had to walk forever because parking is always crazy during game-day. There was no time for tailgating which was kind of sad but I was more excited just to watch the game. I got my program so I could have something to save from the game along with the ticket. As we walked into the stadium it was amazing to see how big it actually was. When you watch the games on TV you never really understand how big the stadiums really are; that is until you have been inside one. I was amazed to say the least. Looking around at all the different fans dressed in their own specific Eagles attire. People’s faces were painted; huge helmets were on their heads, bird masks, along with tons more creative Eagles apparel you could think of. It was such a sight for a little girl but I loved it.

Once we were seated and the game began the environment just got more exciting. After all the players took the field and you get to see the start of the game and the ball is being kicked off it becomes real. You realize this is what you’ve always been seeing on TV. After that I began to realize how different watching a game on TV is from watching it in the stadium. You can not see all the intricate plays and moves that the players make after a catch. That yellow line that indicates how far the first down is was not there, which I knew but is not something you realize until you don’t see it. The sideline markers are still there but it does make it easier to judge a rushing play.
           
As the game continued play after play it just got more exciting. Enjoying the players touchdown dancers on the big screen was so cool. Also watching the extra point being kicked through the up rights was amazing. There were no commercial breaks during time outs it was just you and the field the whole time. You got to see the cheerleader’s performance and the mascots entertain the crowd. Aside from the amazing game that was played the environment of the stadium was something like no other. All the loyal fans was also something that was to not be forgotten. people always say Philadelphia fans are the best out there. That night I realized it was true. Any fan from the opposing team was taunted the entire game. You would have also thought everyone in the stadium that was an Eagles fan was related because of how friendly they act to each other. After every touchdown or field goal people   Being there with my dad was also something so special that I will never forget it. I know my dad was enjoying this special time with me as well because this was the first football game I ever went to and I was able to enjoy this time with my dad. He was able to answer the questions that I had about different plays that I had never seen before and help me learn other football tactics that could only be seen in person. I was such a great experience.

Finally once the game was over and the Eagles came out victorious I went home happier that ever. I got to see my favorite team and players storm the field and dominate the game. They came away with a win and I was able to see everything first hand. I already had a love for the game but this experience with my dad added even more to my passion for sports in general and especially a deep love for football. 

No comments:

Post a Comment